Friday, November 20, 2009

Running, and podcast preview

Like I said before, I used to be a runner. Way back in the day.

Way back.

But I've always been active, which is key for both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. exercise can help control blood glucose levels, essentially making someone less dependent on insulin. For a guy who incessantly hates medicine, that's great news. But running isn't the only way to go. Swimming, walking, biking are all activities that help promote overall health and wellness.

From my experience, it's all about making things habits. Ugh, I used to hate habits. Now I have to live by them. But it's been easier for me to build habits because my family is extremely habitual.

1.) Dad at gets up at 4-5 every morning for work, puts in a long day, and if nothing is going on at night, will probably fall asleep in front of ESPN or the Discovery channel at 10:15.

2.) Mom also gets up early every morning to go to Mass (6:30 Mass, yikes). She also walks every morning and cannot live without her calendar.

3.) Charlie, don't even get me started. Everything he did was in order. I could sit in bed at night in high school and give color commentary on his nighttime routine with my eyes closed. Homework til 10. Cheese torilla in microwave. Load backpack. Use bathroom. Brush teeth. But vaseline on lips. Take drink of water. Then put retainer in. He actually couldn't go to sleep if he was out of sync!!!

Well, now with frisbee behind me, and thanks to Google spreadsheets taking care of my daily blood glucose numbers, I am starting to focus on getting back into shape and working out every day. I'm going to start with a low dosage of running mixed with abs and push-ups. I'll gradually increase the weekly mileage until frisbee starts again in the spring. I'll upload a training log on here once i get a few big school assignments out of the way first.

But here is a list of simple ways in which anyone can take baby-steps towards a healthier life.

1.) Take the stairs, forget the elevator if it's just a few floors.
2.) Walk to church or the grocery store if you live close enough.
3.) Try to at least walk around a neighborhood for 15 minutes a day.
4.) Choose that apple when you're eying the Reese's.
5.) Make a conscious effort to include vegetables with meals. (pickles on a burger don't count)
6.) Choose one day of the week and drink water instead of coffee.
7.) Reruns of ESPN are on again in the morning.
8.) When waking up, get out of bed and get active right away. Avoid the drowsiness.
*I'm horrible at that
9.) If the weather is nice, read a book outside. Soak up some Vitamin D
AND FINALLY
10.) Talk to your mother and tell her you love her.


In other news, I'm going to be doing a few test runs with podcasts on here. Some will be only audio, some will have video as well. It's all run through this cool website called podOmatic. You should see the message with a link on the left side of the page. Hopefully you like it. Let me know if it doesn't work...

No comments:

Post a Comment